COSHH & chemicals
What is COSHH?
COSHH means Control of Substances Hazardous to Health. COSHH is a regulation that requires employers to control substances and biological agents that are hazardous to health. You can prevent or reduce workers exposure to hazardous substances by:
• finding out what the health hazards are;
• deciding how to prevent harm to health (risk assessment);
• providing control measures to reduce harm to health;
• making sure they are used ;
• keeping all control measures in good working order;
• providing information, instruction and training for employees and others;
• providing monitoring and health surveillance in appropriate cases;
• planning for emergencies.
Most businesses use substances, or products that are mixtures of substances. Some processes create substances. These could cause harm to employees, contractors and other people.